History of the Orchestra
The Orchestra was founded in 1920 by Percy Dayman who remained the conductor until his death in 1943. He was succeeded jointly by William Rees and Robert Atherton. In 1947 Robert was appointed sole conductor, a position he held for 50 years.
In 1996 Keith Brooks was appointed principal conductor until he retired from the position in December 2007. He has been succeeded by Keith Hatton who served for over 26 years as an instrumentalist and conductor in the army before retiring in 2002. In April 2009 the position was taken over by Brian Harper who has a music career spanning over 30 years as a professional trumpeter, conductor and teacher.
In August 2011, the Orchestra appointed Helen Harrison as Conductor/Musical Director.
Distinguished guest conductors have included Julius Harrison, Sir Thomas Beecham and David Atherton. Leaders have included Martin Milner, Gerhardt Dreschler, Harvey Marsden and Dr Ben Horsfall.
The Orchestra presents an annual series of orchestral concerts featuring distinguished concert soloists and a summer concert of lighter music.
From the Blackpool Gazette "Memory Lane"
Raymond Cohen, violinist with the Orchestra before the Second World War.
Follow this link: Raymond Cohen